Tennessee Titans Estimated 2013 Salary Cap
For the past several years, I’ve attempted to keep track of the Tennessee Titans salary cap situation. (See 2012, the first year I put this online). The NFL doesn’t necessarily want you to have this information, so getting accurate numbers from publicly-available information is a non-trivial task. The following numbers should be considered estimates only and should be relied on at your own risk. Numbers in italics in particular should be regarded as educated guesses. Use of 1 represents an unknown non-zero quantity.
|Babineaux, Jordan||Signing Bonus||200,000||Dead Money|
|Signing Bonus||55,000||Dead Money|
|Dawson, Keyunta||Salary||715,000||Minimum salary benefit|
|Graham, Daniel||Signing Bonus||666,667||Dead Money|
|Hasselbeck, Matt||Signing Bonus||2,000,000||Dead Money|
|Hill, Sammie Lee||Salary||2,000,000|
|Hutchinson, Steve||Signing Bonus||3,000,000||Dead Money|
|Smith, Shaun||Signing Bonus||500,000||Dead Money|
|Velasco, Fernando||Salary||2,023,000||Restricted Free Agent|
|UDFA Bonus Amount||51,057||Estimate|
Guide to Notes
- Dead Money: If a player is cut by an NFL team before the termination of his existing contract, any guaranteed money, most commonly signing bonus, remains on the books and counts against the salary cap.
- Estimate: The amount is estimated. For the UDFA Bonus Amount row, the current figure is based on dead money from the Titans cutting all their UDFAs in 2012, which they did not do, and the Titans spending up to the maximum amount, which they likely did not do. Since this is such small potatoes, I’m not going to sweat whether this figure is the current $50,000-plus or really closer to $30,000.
- Missing: An estimate of the amount on the cap not represented elsewhere in the table, calculated by deduction from the information I do have and totals-based information I feel comfortable treating as known good. Why is missing negative when I have a good estimate of the top-line number? Maybe the workout bonuses aren’t counted until they’re paid, but I’m not sure.
- Restricted Free Agent: Player was a member of the Tennessee Titans in 2012, is not under contract for 2013, and has three years of accumulated service. The Titans retained rights to Fernando Velasco by giving him a tender. Other teams may offer Velasco a contract if he has not yet signed his tender. Once another team and Velasco have agreed to a contract, the Titans may choose to match that offer or let Velasco sign with the other team. If the Titans do not choose to match, they will receive a second-round pick based on the Titans tendering Velasco at they amount they did.
- Total: Estimate for all players under contract. Note that this is different from the Titans’ salary cap figure for NFL purposes. My best estimate is that based on the offseason salary cap calculation methodology the Titans currently have a 2013 cap amount of approximately $129.2 million and effective cap room of $6.5 million.
To make these tables more complete, these are the amounts I know are not right or do not know are right: Ropati Pitoitua contract details; and UDFA bonus amounts.
2013-03-27: Made a bunch of updates. Added Ryan Fitzpatrick, Rob Turner, Bernard Pollard, Ropati Pitoitua. Removed Matt Hasselbeck. Restored an accidentally-deleted Nate Washington (oops). OverTheCap indicates the Titans included workout bonuses in the Bironas, Greene, Hill and Walker deals; while the Titans have not traditionally made much use of this, this reconciles the reported total values with the numbers I knew. Per OTC, Keyunta Dawson’s deal is apparently gets the veteran minimum salary benefit, which makes sense. Updated cap space. Yes, sticking with a $6.5 million estimate notwithstanding NFL.com showing the Titans with $10.7 million-plus. My best estimate is that does not include the workout bonus amount or the Fitzpatrick, Pollard, and Pitoitua deals. This could be completely wrong.
2013-03-15: Removed the free agents from the table. Added Andy Levitre, Delanie Walker, Sammie Lee Hill, Shonn Greene, and Moise Fokou. Updated re-signs Quinn Johnson and Darius Reynaud.
2013-03-11: Made a bunch of updates, including the George Wilson signing, Rob Bironas and Keyunta Dawson re-signings, adding in salary amounts for the futures contract guys, and total updates. Bottom-line cap figure and adjustments is based on this report indicating the Titans had $18.6 million in cap space. My best estimate is that includes Keyunta Dawson and George Wilson, but does not include Rob Bironas or the workout bonus amounts. Made a second update with news of the Titans tendering Fernando Velasco (RFA) and not Kevin Matthews (ERFA) or Kyle DeVan (RFA, thought he was a UFA). Made a third update based on Steve Hutchinson retirement. Corrected Total, which I hadn’t updated to include the addition of the futures contract guys.
2013-02-07: NFL.com indicates the Titans have $18.3 million of cap space. Added Missing, since that comports with what I thought it was.
2013-02-06: Oops, major error in how I was calculating cap space, as the formula wasn’t picking up CJ’s cap hit. Effective cap space was therefore overstated by $12 million.
2013-01-28: Eugene Amano hit an escalator that increased his 2013 base salary by $250,000. Yes, he was on injured reserve the entire 2012 season. Alterraun Verner and Damian Williams hit their escalators, very likely related to playing time, as well.
2013-01-08: Page published.