Thoughts on Titans-Bills
On Friday, the Titans faced the Bills in their third preseason game, and won, 28-17. Here are some of my thoughts:
1. Vince Young looked better throwing the ball than he did in the first game.
2. VY’s scrambling seemed to be in midseason form.
3. I still haven’t seen anything, ever, from LenDale White that makes me thing he can be a good starting running back in the NFL.
4. It was nice to see another defense struggle with screen passes.
5. Roydell Williams looked very good, playing the role that we’d normally seen played by Brandon Jones of VY’s #1 target.
6. Ben Hartsock is only an in-line blocker, while Scaife will line up all over the field.
7. After the Titans’ struggles the previous weeks in pass protection, it was nice to see a game with no sacks.
8. It was very disappointing to see both Bironas and Vaughn miss field goals.
9. The run defense was pretty good-if I were the Bills, I’d be very worried about the money I spent on offensive linemen this offseason.
10. Both Michael Griffin and Nick Harper were burned for very long completions. That’s something we saw way too much of last year. I haven’t re-watched the game yet, so I can’t tell if either should have had safety help, but either way that’s not good.
11. Griffin was overall eh in his first start at CB. He did rip the ball away one time, but he should have been concentrating more on making sure he tackled the player.
12. Thompson had a nice INT jumping a weak pass by Losman made under pressure. But, if it’s a better pass and Thompson jumps the route and misses it, that’s a TD. You have to be sure, and I don’t trust Thompson’s ability to make a good call that way.
13. The Titans showed empty backfield a couple of times, including on 4th and goal. That’s not a look we saw that often this year.
14. Haynesworth had some particularly good plays in run defense.
15. The offense looked very good in the two minute drill at the end of the first half. This was the only time I thought White looked like a semi-competent RB, when the Bills were playing prevent and the Bills weren’t looking for the run.
16. I have nothing interesting to say about the second half.
UFR should be coming in the next day or two.